2009/5/13 Rory McCann <r...@technomancy.org>:
> On 30/04/09 13:17, Pieren wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Greg Troxel
>>> and you define the relation to
>>> say that all ways in some area of some type should be in the relation.
>>
>> You try to use relations to define a category but :
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Relations_are_not_Categories
>
> The first thing I thought of when reading this is, to use a relation.
> 'Relations are not categories' applies to people making relations out of
> "all hotels" or "All hotels in London", doesn't really apply here.
>
> type=zone
> name=Dublin Centre
> maxspeed=20kph
> parking=no

Where "zone" is a known geographic area?
A bounding way with tags like:
 zone = restriction
 maxspeed = 20kph
 parking = no

seems like the best way to do it to me if you don't want to just
replicate the tags on everything (and I can understand why you
wouldn't want to do that).
There's no software that'll pay attention to it atm, but then it's not
long ago that everything ignored route relations too.

I really wouldn't recommend relations for specifying what things are
inside an area. It's a waste of two entire dimensions our dataset
happens to have.

Dave