Hi,

Peter Childs wrote:
> The Problem is that you can't rebuild the map from a continuing
> stream, This is the problem with Database Replication in general.

True, but maybe the stream use cases don't require that? Maybe it is
more important for an application to know in an instant where something
is being edited, than having complete knowledge of what has been edited
yesterday?

I don't have a killer app in mind where I would say "this works with a
stream and doesn't work with minute diffs". But I can think of a number
of applications that would be cooler with a proper stream. I mean, just
look at Bernhard's application:

http://datenkueche.com/osmlive/

It looks very cool and you have the individual spots lighting up in
something that looks like "real time" but then it is five minutes
delayed and based on chunked diffs - meaning what you see is a
fabricated replay of what has probably happened, and not "the real
thing". Which diminshes the coolness, if only slightly.

Now I'm not saying we should turn the database inside out to support
fractionally more coolness.

But saying: "We don't intend to support this because we cannot think of
an application that absolutely requires it", is quite un-OSM, is it not?

Bye
Frederik