On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 4:40 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In a different mail you said:
>> Ian Dees wrote:
>>> OSM isn't about the geodata, it's about the data. That includes the fact
>>> that it is in the geographic domain, but it also means that we can
>>> manipulate it or store it however we want.
>>
>> You can. On your own infrastructure.
>
> Except you can't right now, the dumps don't provide enough information
> to duplicate OSM database even on your own infrastructure.

they don't *yet*. brett has been working on "full" diffs, i.e: diffs
with all edits, whether they were later overridden or not. this would
allow you to fully reproduce the whole database. see
http://planet.openstreetmap.org/history/ for whats been done so far.

Frederik said:
> I fully agree that streaming is probably a niche thing, a nice-to-have
> and not a must-have, and I have no problem if the idea is treated as a
> small priority. But dismissing it just because your imagination is too
> limited...?

+1

i think if we can get the delay on the diffs down from 5 mins to under
2 mins then there's no reason why streaming can't be built on top of
the diffs and be able to support all the things people want to do with
streaming.

cheers,

matt