Hi

Pieren wrote:
> But we are facing the problem of how to detect and resolve the
> conflicts with existing landuse data in OSM which are usually (but not
> always) more accurate (Yahoo imagery or french cadastre).
> I know we are not the first country having this problem and we would
> like to know how it was solved with other mass imports.

We are currently importing public transport information for the UK
(NaPTAN) and are having a similar problem with existing data in OSM. Our
approach is to tag the imported data specially so that it can easily be
found in the database but does not show up on the map (i.e. all imported
bus stops are tagged with source=naptan_import but do not have
highway=bus_stop tag). Mappers can then check the imported data and
"activate" bus stops by adding a highway=bus_stop tag to it or copy the
imported tags over to an existing OSM bus stop.

To aid this task a web-based tool is being developed at the moment. The
tool displays all bus stops from OSM and all newly imported stops on a
map and can find pairs of similar bus stops in the existing and the new
dataset (based on proximity and similar names). The user can then easily
select pairs and merge them.

        Christoph