Where did this idea go in the end? It seems the talk about it petered-out, or
was some action agreed (along with who was going to undertake it)?

Given the US have forgotten to keep the GPS system up to date, maybe
we need a few satelites of our own to replace it... Or maybe we can
use Galileo once its up instead.....

This was more about high-resolution aerial photography suitable for deriving
traces.

As for geopositioning satellites, I doubt the US military-industrial complex
(or its adherents in places like Europe) will allow such a key technology to
fall into real disrepair. Plus with future civilian receivers combining signals
from Galileo and GPS, alongside radio signals, the future is actually looking
brighter than ever...