> "Important to who?"

A good question. Perhaps "prominence" rather than important?

I'm in two minds about the proposal. It feels like it is tagging for
the renderer, but could be argued that it is providing information
about how well known a place is to allow the renderers to make more
useful judgments as to what to render in their rules.

Partly though it's because I was toying with the idea of something
similar the other day. Long term I hope to have a tile server
rendering maps of my area, and was wondering how to show the bus
routes between towns and villages before bus routes within the town
when zooming in. I was toying with the idea of a local bus relation
(network=lbn) for within the town and a regional bus relation
(network=rbn) for the ones that run between towns, and I can't see
on the wiki where networks are listed for bus route relations, so
perhaps that would work. (There are also one or two express bus
routes that I might use nbn for - Clacton to Manchester for
example.)

But perhaps something which can be used more generically has a
place.

Ed