Here the major road is a dual carriageway with a fence in the middle, so
pedestrians cannot cross:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.490971&lon=-0.234075&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF

There are subways which I have mapped as level=-1 paths crossing the road.  But
then this path is unconnected to anything else on the map.  I want to express
that you can walk along one side of the road, then use the subway to get to the
other side.

To do that I could make the subway have junction nodes with the two carriageways
as it crosses them - but that's not quite right because it doesn't physically
cross the road, it goes underneath.  Or I could even put it just between the two
carriageways like a rung in a ladder, but that implies that to use the subway
you must walk to the middle of the road to reach it.  Or I could add in somewhat
bogus paths from each subway entrance back to the main road.

I am concerned with providing useful data to routing program.  Are there some
I can test with to see what is expected?  Cloudmade Maps provides directions but
its data is not frequently updated.

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>