On 12 Jun 2009, at 14:44, Ed Avis wrote:

Here the major road is a dual carriageway with a fence in the middle, so
pedestrians cannot cross:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.490971&lon=-0.234075&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF

There are subways which I have mapped as level=-1 paths crossing the road. But then this path is unconnected to anything else on the map. I want to express that you can walk along one side of the road, then use the subway to get to the
other side.

To do that I could make the subway have junction nodes with the two carriageways as it crosses them - but that's not quite right because it doesn't physically cross the road, it goes underneath. Or I could even put it just between the two carriageways like a rung in a ladder, but that implies that to use the subway you must walk to the middle of the road to reach it. Or I could add in somewhat
bogus paths from each subway entrance back to the main road.

I am concerned with providing useful data to routing program. Are there some I can test with to see what is expected? Cloudmade Maps provides directions but
its data is not frequently updated.

You could place a footway parallel to the road and map in higher than normal.

Or bring the footway out to the end of the tunnel, roughly like so:
 |   |
-|--|-
\|   |/
 |   |