Ciao Martin,
no need to CC me, thank you :)

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 02:40:55 +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> 2009/6/14 David Paleino <d.pale...@gmail.com>:
> > [..]
> >
> > I agree that moving it from "landuse=historic_center" to something not
> > involving history is a good thing, but also "centre_zone" has its own issues
> > (basically, the "centre" terminology might not be appropriate in many
> > cases).
> >
> > Ideas? Comments?
>
> When I wrote the proposal for centre_zone I was also thinking about an
> alternative named "core_zone" or "core" but I was not sure if this
> attempt to translate German into English would describe to a native
> person what I actually meant.

That'd be good, IMHO. I'm Italian, and I can understand what "core_zone" would
be.

> LEO (translation-service) proposed centre_zone for the German Term
> "Kerngebiet", which is the appropriate term in German urban planning
> legislation (BauNVO=Baunutzungsverordnung).

From the Collins dictionary:

  http://dictionary.reverso.net/german-english/Kerngebiet

"heartland". Reading the Wikipedia page for it though, it refers to "central
areas of a country", rather than a city.

Also, translating to Italian the wiki page for Kerngebiet, it gets translated to
"Nucleo", which is exactly "Core" in English.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=it&sl=de&u=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerngebiet

Although landuse=core (or core_zone) is IMHO not immediately understandable,
this would be the better choice.

So, should we start vote on that proposal? Any other discussion needed?

Ciao,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino