Hi,

Ed Loach wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>> there has been a quite lively debate on talk-de about the
>> appearance of the openstreetmap.org page to "newcomers" to the
> project
>
> The front page design was mentioned here in early March, and pointed
> to a wiki page where there was some brief discussion:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Front_Page

Every single design that was thrown around at the time had the map very
prominently on the front page.

I do not necessarily want to say that the map should be removed from the
front page; I'm not sure. www.openstreetmap.de tries to have it all with
the map sandwiched inside a larger page. About two years ago, a
completely different, three-column design was discussed on the lists but
did not find too many friends at the time; I have an old copy of it here
but I don't know who the original author was:

http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/three.jpg

I don't find that too bad actually. But it has no map on the first page.
I vehemently stated that we're about data, not about slippy maps, in the
talk-de discussion; however we also need to show off.

Bye
Frederik