I agree with Martin. It would be nice to keep the map prominent on the
home page... but add more interactivity. Permalinks with markers would
be a big advantage as it would make the map more functional without
adding too much overhead. When I want to point something out to
someone, I send the URL of the area they should view and say "take a
look at the [insert colour here] part in the middle, you'll find it
there".

I think a big first step for people becoming involved in the project
is for them to start using it in every day life.

Perhaps a compromise would be to have some links to other versions of
the map with a small thumbnail of what they look like (like the cycle
map), as well as some basic drawing ability (permalink & ruler
maybe?).

Thoughts?

Regards,
Brendan