> there are some obvious omissions and variations as you mentioned one that
> stands out to me is the omission of the Rakaia River which is more than a
> small creek!

I'm not entirely sure why these are not showing up.  It's not a case of the
tags being missing, they are lacking in the original data as well.  I'll upload
the .osm files shortly for you to peruse..

> and also Canterbury some roads shown as minor tracks but as I see it having
> them is a huge bonus as they can be retagged later to correctly display etc
> from local survey/knowledge

Right, I think some roads are being tagged as dirt tracks, when instead they
should possibly just be surface=unpaved, hence they won't show up with dotted
brown lines...

> I don't have you tech skills but would be happy to assist with improving
> correcting the data after the import as I have quite alot of local knowledge
> and about and about all over the SI

That's exactly what it's about at this stage, spotting anomalies, tagging
problems and other omissions...