On 2 Jul 2009, at 21:19, si...@mungewell.org wrote:

>> Any chance of opengolfmap? I am needing a map to show the interaction
>> between an existing golf course and a proposed cycle route. I can add
>> the data to the map but I am not aware of anything that will render
>> it.
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Golf_course
>>

> You can use OpenLayers to placed additional items (icons, ways,
> bitmaps,
> etc) on top of a Tile-Server based map, meaning that you don't need to
> render special tiles.
>
> If the cycle route and/or golf course interaction is quite simple
> you can
> generate these as seperate OSM 'xml' files and (effectively) render
> in the
> browser.
>
> This has the advantage of not 'polluting' the OSM database with stuff
> which is (not yet) real.
>
> A very simple example(s) is here:
> http://www.mungewell.org/osm/osm.html
> http://www.cossfest.ca/osm_coast_plaza/osm_coast_plaza.html

Or, of course if the 'holes' are bound up with a relation for all the
features of the golf course then the relation can be overlaid on the
standard mapnik tiles. Also, I don't think it is fair to call it
'polluting the map' to add current details just because there is no
rendering . Tagging normally takes place ahead of rendering or there
would be nothing to render!

Out of interest, is there a way of overlaying KML on OSM tiles using
OL as there is with google maps if one points the search box to a KML
file?

Thanks for the response.

Regards,

Pete