On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Martin
Koppenhoefer<dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> why is this a value in the key:
> maxspeed:wet=40
> couldn't you interpret "maxspeed:wet" as a key? The maxspeed in wet
> condition? Could you explain the problem that arises (I am not an
> informatics person and maybe for this don't understand these details
> adhoc).

I gather that a value is something that can take an infinite number of
values. e.g. A time can be 00:00:00.0, 00:00:00.01, etc.

"Wet" is a weather condition. There are an infinite number of "weather
conditions" - this may not be immediately obvious, but what would you
answer if I asked you "how many weather conditions are there?"

It is desirable to have a finite number of keys. That way, you can,
for example, list all of the keys supported by OSM without having to
use placeholders like maxspeed:<weather condition> or maxspeed:<time>.
It also makes it easier for computer programs to use the keys - they
can use a simple switch statement/table lookup on the key, then do any
necessary parsing on the value field only.

You could argue that you could explicitly support maxspeed:wet, but
that makes about as much sense as supporting maxspeed[12:00-14:00] and
not maxspeed[12:11-13:11] (i.e. not much).