> But there is an obvious problem: you may want two values
> for the same key, e.g.
> maxspeed:weather = wet;80 and
> maxspeed:weather = snow;30
>
> I'm guessing this is not OK? Actually......... won't this
> often be a

You would have to have some sophisticated routing software to know weather in
the first place. I wonder if the computer interface on most modern cars
supplies information on what the wipers are doing and also hook into any
temperature sensor.

If it is possible to get some information out of the car computer you could
check for things like maxspeed:weather_1, maxspeed:weather_2 etc

> problem if you insist on not putting values in the key? How
> would you
> say maxspeed is 40 between 7am-9am, 60 between 4pm-7pm, and
> 80
> otherwise?

It's going to get very messy very quickly if you are trying to shoe horn
general time limits in with school zones, but you could do:

maxspeed=80
maxspeed:time_1=school;07:00-09:00,14:30-15:30;mon-fri;40
maxspeed:time_2=all;16:00-19:00;mon-fri;60

Actually the whole idea of getting all values into a single line probably will
only serve to make a mess of it completely.

So now we're at this:

maxspeed:time=reason;hh:mm-hh:mm[,hh:mm-hh:mm]*;[dd-dd|dd,dd,dd];xxx

If you wanted to really cover all bases you could stipulate dates, not just
days of the week, for example in Sydney they often close the city down to all
traffic except public buses and taxis. They even erect signs ahead of time, not
just on electronic signs.

As I said this could get really messy really quickly if you followed all
logical arguments through to their full extent.