On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Jacek Konieczny<jaj...@jajcus.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 09:12:10AM +1000, Roy Wallace wrote:
>>
>> I don't think there is any such thing as a "generic trail". I think
>> highway=path should simply imply that the way is a physical route used
>> for travel but not suitable for cars. Additional tags seem to be
>> necessary to describe details, if available.
>
> Then why don't we use just 'highway=road' for any physical route that is
> suitable for cars? With your reasoning highway=motorway, highway=trunk,
> highway=residental, etc. are unnecessary, as the properties can be
> described with other tags…  But we have the another layer of abstraction
> and I think it proved useful. We could define motorway by its surface,
> width, number of lanes, vehicles which are allowed and which are not,
> but this does not make things simple  and would make interpretation of
> the map very hard. Classifying ways into
> motorways/primary/secondary/residental makes things simpler.

Yes, I agree, we need to find a balance. But regardless of whether you
think motorways/trunk/primary/secondary/tertiary/residential/unclassified/track
is a "simple" system, it doesn't mean it doesn't have its flaws, not
does it mean that footway/cycleway/path doesn't have its flaws.

The ONLY thing I demand is a clear, verifiable description of each tag
on the wiki, which I would argue we are still lacking. Anything beyond
that is a bonus.