Hi!

Liz schrieb:
> would a suggestion made on the talk-au list in which highway=footway and
> highway=cycleway be deprecated and be replaced by

I think we should step back one step.

The discussion here seems about to fall victim to the same mechanisms
that produced the present chaos. Different people/groups think they have
solved the problem for their (local) use cases and are arguing in favor
of their solution, which usually involves interpreting existing tags in
a specific way. I am glad that this topic has come up - and of course I
have my own ready-made suggestion for a solution - but I suggest we look
at the problems and goals again before we go for a specific solution
attempt.

I think the main questions are:

- Can we agree on a common interpretation of what foot/cycleway are
supposed to mean?
- Do we want a general meaning for every country, delegating local
specifics to other tags, or a local meaning dependent on a countries
specific conditions?

- Can we use the existing access-Tags to describe the exact rules of
traffic e.g. in Germany (which seems to have the highest requirements so
far) and agree on the meaning there, too, or do we need to invent a
whole new scheme for local specifics?

- Do we tag generic trails as highway=path or does this tag have a more
complex meaning?

Can we try to discuss the problem at this level before proposing
detailed tagging schemes?

There is also the questions which is important but should not be mixed in:

- how can we get a coherent tagging model for OSM?

bye
        Nop