On 11 Aug 2009, at 16:03, Markus Lindholm wrote:

2009/8/8 Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de>:
Mike Harris wrote:
And I still don't think turnstile is in any way a type of stile any more than a stile is a type of gate.

+1

The English word for turnstiles may end with "stile" for some reason I don't understand, but that doesn't mean it actually is a type of stile.

barrier=turnstile is clearly the better solution. This really cannot be
described by any of the existing barrier values. (Otherwise, I'd of
course suggest a sub-tag.) After all, renderers can still use the same icon for different tags if the developers don't consider the distinction
relevant for the rendering.

Another property that turnstiles have is that usually one can pass in
only one direction. But how that is going to be tagged if a turnstile
is just a node I have no idea.

A footway going through it with the tag oneway=yes?

Shaun