Roy writes:

>If "footway/cycleway is fuzzy" in terms of current usage (and I believe it
is), then +1. But I would personally prefer
>that "designated" mean "signed". This stays true to "mapping what is on the
ground", and separates legal issues from
>geographical/physical features, as others have suggested. I think this is
in line with the current usage of >"designated" >(correct me if I'm wrong).

But have you seen?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:access%3Ddesignated

Which has solved a host of problems and ambiguities for me at least. This is
a very clear - not 'fuzzy' - definition and the loss of it would be very
damaging to the right-of-way mapping projects in the UK at least. It saves a
lot of argument about subjective judgements of what tag best describes what
is on the ground. No objection adding an extra tag for signpost if that's
wanted - but it leaves ambiguities as to whether the signpost has any legal
implication or whether an unsigned path (many of them!) carries legal rights
of access.

Mike Harris