From: Roy Wallace [mailto:waldo000...@gmail.com]
Sent: 13 August 2009 23:15
To: Jukka Rahkonen
Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Non-designated cycleway vs. designation info missing

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Jukka
Rahkonen<jukka.rahko...@mmmtike.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What might be an unambiguous way to tell that some cycleway is NOT
designated?
> In theory if bicycle=designated means what it says then bicycle=yes
> might mean that yes, it is a cycleway, but no, it is not a designated
> cycleway.  However, I feel that bicycle=yes means more often that
> nobody has bothered to save the designation info at all.

Well, first you have to decide what "cycleway" means to you, and what
"designated" means to you.

To me, cycleway means path, designated means signed, and bicycle=yes means
it's suitable for bikes. So if you have a path that is suitable for a
bicycle but does not have a sign with a bicycle, I would use highway=path
(or cycleway, if you insist); designated=no; bicycle=yes.