2009/8/15 Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com>:
> Could the definition of "official" be simplified to "signed"?? If not,
> what would be the difference between bicycle=official and
> bicycle=signed?

As I have understood, official is intended to tag the formal
dedication (usually of the local administration who decided to build
the way). In some cases there might be missing the sign, but it still
would be officially dedicated to be a xy-way.

Bicycle=signed is IMHO not the best idea, because what do you do for
official or designated _and_ signed ways?

Also I didn't get the difference of designated and official. Maybe you
can explain? I thought it was intended for the same situation.

There is people already using tags like this:
traffic_sign=DE:237
to tag signs. If you put this on a way it would be clear that and how
a way is signed.

cheers,
Martin