From: Martin Koppenhoefer [mailto:dieterdre...@gmail.com]
Sent: 13 August 2009 23:26
To: Roy Wallace
Cc: osm
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] [Fwd: Re: Proliferation of path vs. footway]

2009/8/14 Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com>:
>> Absolutely true: explicit in the wiki ;-)
>
> We have a database, let's populate it. The wiki is to help instruct
> people how to best populate the database - it should not be a part of
> the database itself.

but this is not real "map"-information but it is legal information you could
also get from different sources. If a way is legally a cycleway, all the laws
and implications in that county apply automatically. You just need the info:
"it is a cycleway" (and not simply a way where you can cycle, but one
designated as such). That's why I would _not_ put foot=no, motorcar=no, hgv=no,
psv=no, goods=no, horse=no, motorcycle=no, moped=no, airplanes=no, llamas=no on
every single cycleway. It is implied. I would put foot=yes if they are allowed.

The proposed wiki-table would just be for the comfort of the mappers (summarize
the legal situation and document it in a OSM-focused way), but it would not be
required to read the map (if you know the local laws).

cheers,
Martin