On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Tobias Knerr wrote:

> Christiaan Welvaart wrote:
>> Added a separate tag for cars, because AFAICT any routing app computing
>> routes for cars uses this transportation mode. If routing would be done
>> for 'motorcar', ways tagged as hazmat=no, for example, could not be used
>> because the motorcar *could* be a hazmat vehicle.
>
> This reasoning is not quite valid. The restrictions for a vehicle
> category are affected by categories higher up in the hierarchy, not by
> those below. At least this is the idea behind current documentation such
> as http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Computing_access_restrictions ,
> and I don't see why we should be restricted to leaves of the category tree.

I made mistake in the position of motorcar compared to the last version
of the hierarchy picture, which I now fixed.
   ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:Access_modes.png )

I did not know the Computing_access_restrictions wiki page, maybe the text
about evaluation I added to Key:access should be replaced by a link to
that page.

>> * Direction specific restrictions
>>
>> I listed :backward and :forward postfixes for access keys
>
> What you are doing here seems like picking raisins from conditional
> tagging and trying to handle it as a special case. I'm not sure whether
> you are aware of my proposal?
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Conditions_for_access_tags

This proposal does not seem specific enough. Shouldn't it list exactly
which simple keys can be modified this way, especially for the :<transport
mode> extension? For example, with this proposal it is possible to create
both bicycle:backward and oneway:bicycle, while I would really prefer to
only have the former.

> While direction may be considered as something special when constructing
> a routing graph (unlike most other parameters it will have different
> values during creation of the same routing graph; unless you are really
> sophisticated and use changing time, it will be the only parameter like
> this), it's not a special case for *evaluation*: It's just another
> parameter needed to get the value of a base tag for the current situation.

In the model I used, there is no base tag wich a value: each way direction
has completely separate access restrictions. It only applies to the data
in OSM, not a "routing graph".

> As evaluation is the aspect that needs to be documented (routing graph
> creation is up to the application), I believe forward/backward shouldn't
> be introduced or documented separately but instead as a part of
> conditional tagging.

Is it really a problem if work is one in this respect as long as it does
not contradict the conditional tagging proposal?

>> * Evaluating access tags
>
> Your use of "category" and "(transport) mode" confuses me, especially as
> they both seem to be things that can be a key.

I did not invent these names, but as I understand it, a transport mode is
a distinct way of physically moving around, in other words a class of
traffic participants. Differences within a class are not relevant for
access to a road, while differences between classes are, in some cases. A
(transport mode) category is simply a group of transport modes and/or
other categories that are sometimes treated similarly regarding road
access (by law). So such a category is used to limit the number of
tags needed to describe access for a particular way.

     Christiaan