Brian Quinion wrote:
> As promised, you can try a uk test system here:
>
> http://katie.openstreetmap.org/~twain/
>
> And a couple of sample queries:
>
> http://katie.openstreetmap.org/~twain/?q=london
> http://katie.openstreetmap.org/~twain/?q=91+upper+ground%2C+london
> http://katie.openstreetmap.org/~twain/?q=pub+near+upper+ground%2C+london
>
> If you want to know how the address was created click the 'details'
> link at the end of the search result.  Some of the values are my debug
> info but it will also provide links to the osm node/way/relation.
> Please be aware that this extract is about 4 weeks old and there have
> been quite a bit of improvements to the UK county data since then.
>
> Please email me bug reports off list, but be aware that I'm going to
> be away from my email for a lot of the weekend and that there are
> still known issues - so don't be that surprised if you break it.

Preliminary results of the British Museum Test:
http://povesham.wordpress.com/2007/11/23/the-british-museum-test-for-public-mapping-websites/

(also on wiki http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/British_Museum_Test)

* Tate Modern
  - Correct, but listed 2 nearly identical results for "Attraction" and
"Arts centre".
* British Museum
  - First result is "disused station" that's not even visible on the
standard map. Second result correct.
* National Gallery
  - No results found
* Natural History Museum
  - First result is Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. 2nd, 3rd and 4th
results "correct". "Natural History Museum, London" produced just the 3
"correct" results.
* British Airways London Eye
  - No results found
* London Eye
  - First result good. Second result nearby bus stop. Third result
"common". Not sure what the "common" means, but otherwise good
* Science Museum
  - Correct, but listed 2 nearly identical results for "Museum" and
"Public Building"
* The Victoria & Albert Museum
  - Correct, but listed 2 nearly identical results for
"Museum;attraction" and "Public Building"
* V&A Museum
  - Identical results to above (good)
* The Tower of London
  - Correct, but listed 3 nearly identical results for "Castle",
"Attraction" and "Public Building"
* St Paul’s Cathedral
  - 4 results. First one "Attraction", which is acceptable. Second one
"bus stop", Fourth one "Place of Worship". 3rd one = "Place of Worship"
in Dundee.
* National Portrait Gallery
  - No results found

So overall, I'd say it's very good, but it could use some sort clumping
of multiple results of the same thing and needs improvements in
prioritising results - Museums are more important than bus stops and
disused stations. Also it needs typo correction.

Another hint for priorities would be if something is in the current map,
it should possibly score a bit higher than something further away
(although anything in the current map area should score the same - you
don't want to put a positive bias on The Midlands when searching while
viewing the whole UK). This would have solved the "Natural History
Museum, Hemel Hempsted" problem.

Postcode searching is weird. If I search for NW1 3AN, it seems to give
me the result for NW1 3AR, which isn't the same place. If it doesn't
know the correct postcode, it should fall back to the area - NW1 3, for
which is a better result because it's clear that it's not accurate and
it's pointing to the whole area.

Robert (Jamie) Munro