On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Eric Wolf <ebw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> not ok - if google has made a mistake (or an easter egg) and you
>>> incorporate
>>> that in OSM - we will all suffer.
>>>

>> How do you make a mistake with a picture of the real world?
>>

> Ever hear of Photoshop?
>
> Map makers (and other surveyors of "real world" information) have
> traditionally included incorrect information. If you duplicate their
> incorrect information, then it's evident you were making derivative
> products.

I see your point, but those maps are artistic representations of the real
world. In this case, Google has taken photographs of the real world.
Introducing cartographic error into those images would be A) costly and B)
make their product less useful to their customers.

Either way, I don't condone making maps from StreetView images, I'm just
raising the point.

Back in March, Ed Parsons pointed out [0] that since StreetView images are
Google-owned, if someone asked nicely-enough we could get them to give us a
license to explicitly map based on the streetview images (similar to the
explicit license we have with Yahoo).

[0] http://twitter.com/edparsons/status/1381963392