John Smith wrote:
> I wouldn't interpret it as that, I would have said a ghost town, ie a
> town that once existed but no one lives there any more. Any place with
> people is either a hamlet, village, town, suburb or city.

I don't think I am interpreting. I think I am just reading the text and
looking at the examples. Those "quarters" are not administrative areas,
but they are named areas, which happen to contain people. Hamlet,
village, town, suburb, city are administrative areas. If I remember
correctly, you have quite a few of those suburbs in Australia, which are
actually used for addressing. Google Reverse geocoding is full of those
since they imported Australia data; they even have their own postal
code, yet, they are suburbs of Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, etc....
We can't use suburbs for those areas in France, as it wouldn't make any
sense at all.
Anyway, when you look at the examples, you can see that it is used for
named areas, which tends to be fuzzy in location, which are not one of
the other places.

Emilie Laffray