On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Craig Wallace <craig...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> Sounds to me like a renderer problem, not a case for a new tag.
>>
>> -Alex Mauer “hawke”
>>
> Why? How does the renderer know whether its a large suburb that's within
> a city, or a small suburb that's part of a town or village (or part of a
> larger suburb). As you would want these to be shown at different zoom
> levels, with different font sizes etc.
> I know you can map the suburb as an area, to show its size, but that
> isn't always practical. Many suburbs don't have clearly defined
> boundaries, so its easiest just to use a node in the middle of it.
>
> Maybe you could use something like the is_in tag?
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:is_in
> That lists options for is_in:city= etc So a place=suburb tagged as
> is_in:city=* would be rendered larger than one tagged as is_in:town= or
> is_in:village etc.

No, it's not a renderer problem, it is just different things. I'm not
a native english speaker but if I translate "suburb" and "quarters",
it is two different things. The first applies to cities (maybe big
towns as well), the second is much smaller. Instead of reusing
improperly existing tags or creating complex combinations (with e.g.
tag population) or re-introduce the infamous "is_in" tag, we should
simply create a new tag place=quarters or place=district which could
apply to villages or small towns and where "suburb" is simply
inappropriate.

Pieren