Timothy C Litwiller schrieb:
> I didn't find a newbie list

> I've been
> disconnecting and making sure that the entrance and exit ramps match
> the yahoo image. and adding bridges to the appropriate way.

Do not rely to much on Yahoo images. Sometimes they are not very
accurate geocoded or sometimes out of date, especialy in different zoom
levels (eg
http://de.maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=s&lat=39.153668&lon=-94.537782&zoom=18 vs.
http://de.maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=s&lat=39.153668&lon=-94.537782&zoom=17 ).
Of course, if you don't have a better source (like GPS-Traces) Yahoo is
better than nothing.

> But before I do to much damage it would be nice if someone could give
> me "constructive criticism" if and what I am missing and if I am
> doing things correctly. see this area
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.6777&lon=-97.3922&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF

Just with a quick look: You forgot a few bridges at the intersection of
HW 54 and I 235 (the railwaybridge and the bridge over the river of HW
54). Also take care of the layer tag
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Layer) to describe which way is
above / underneath. Also the begin and end of the current bridges
doesn't match the Yahoo images. I normaly compare with Google street
view and the bird's eye view from http://www.bing.com/maps/ if unsure
where objects start or end.

>  and
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.0556&lon=-97.3127&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF

Notice that railway nodes are not connected to highways nodes even if it
looks like they have a common node.

> we have dirt and/or sand or gravel roads every mile - I think I'll
> put surface=unpaved and surface=dirt,  is there a preferred way to
> designate , like the UPS and Fedex men have maps,  of which roads are
> not passable when wet?

Giving an information about the surface is not a bad idear. Esp. if you
live in an area where you can't assume that a residential highway will
always be paved and have boardwalks on every side.
Unfortunately we don't have a tag describing the way atdifferent weather
conditions. People living in areas where dry riverbeads are used as
roads except in rainy season when it should be tagged as a river... :)

> so help me make sure I understand these levels ...

Have a look at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_roads_tagging

There is a discussion at the moment (or better since openstreetmap comes
more popular) if we should tag highways according to their official
classification or their physical charakteristics.