Mike asked a few questions about the NaPTAN import.

There is information on the wiki here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NaPTAN/Surveying_and_Merging_NaPTAN_and_OSM_data
about surveying
(Short: http://is.gd/3w8tv )

I've just been updating some stops that I surveyed on the way to Tesco this
morning, and a few I verified when out and about yesterday.

I'll try and summarise answers to your questions, based on my limited
understanding.

The relation is where two stops are known by NaPTAN as a stop area, and is a
relation containing related stops. Usually these are pairs of stops on opposite
sides of the road I believe, though bus stations (for example) may contain more.

As you pointed out sometimes the stops are only one side of the road, and the
stop the opposite side is known as a "customary stop",
naptan:BusStopType="CUS". As per the link above, those CUS stops I've
encountered where I've seen a bus stop (or where the opposite stop is labelled
"buses stop here and opposite") I've been tagging physically_present=no,
highway=bus_stop.

Where I'd already added bus stops before the import I've been moving tags to
the NaPTAN one (such as shelter=yes, layby=yes, route_ref=<whatever>), then
deleting my node, and positioning the NaPTAN node based on the original survey,
the verification survey and the NaPTAN location, averaging the three.

Your last point, where bus stops import to the wrong side of ways I've been
checking all the public traces available in JOSM and repositioning the OSM way
to the average of those. If the bus stop is still the wrong side, I nudge it
across presuming sufficient inaccuracy in the NaPTAN data to be the width of a
road out.

All my verification surveys of bus stops though are done standing still under
the bus stop flag (where present, or where there is both a flag and an
electronic sign, somewhere between them).

There is more information about NaPTAN on the wiki, and discussions on the
talk-transit list. I believe that the import would happen was announced on this
list (or maybe talk-gb) some time ago before talk-transit was started to
discuss how it was to be done.

Ed