2009/9/23 Peter Körner <osm-li...@mazdermind.de>:
>> Question:
>> Would it be possible/feasible to setup a map server like openstreetmap
>> that shows all the street/roads along with my aerial photography and
>> field outlines, and then make a search for the field by customer, by
>> legal description or by field name?
>
> I'm unsure about the technical details, but in general you would need a
> apache with mod_tile [0] / renderd / mapnik [1] to render your
> street-tiles with transparent background.
>
> Your Areal photos could (should?) be supplied by a WMS-Server (?)
>
> Both would be bundled together with OpenLayers [2]. As they also support
> vector drawings from external sources (GML, KML, etc.) I would suggest
> to put the field-outlines in here.
>
> Especially transparent street-tiles would be very cool to share to the
> community. If I'ts not possible to publish the tiles you may want to
> publish the styles-file & configurations you used to generate them to
> the wiki.

I'm trying to figure out how to do a similar thing with post codes,
for the moment I've got a very basic mapnik style sheet that just
produces town names, country borders and shaded postcode areas.

http://maps.bigtincan.com/?z=7&ll=-33.52829,148.04077&layer=00B000000FF

OpenLayers can do semi-transparent layers over the top of a base
layer, so I'll probably be going down that path too:

http://sautter.com/map/?zoom=7&lat=-32.52829&lon=148.04077&layers=00B000TFFFFF