On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Tim Litwiller <t...@litwiller.net> wrote:
> Introduction:
> For my work we have a need for mapping "fields" agricultural sections of
> land for growing crops. We already put the legal description of the land
> in the our invoicing \ work order system and other information about the
> field, but we need a way to quickly print a high quality aerial photo of
> the section that the land is in and the outline of the field.  I only
> need to cover 10 counties in central Kansas at least to start with, and
> I can get the free US Gov aerial photography and the field outlines from
> USDA.

Interesting background and use case.  Thank you for sharing.

> Question:
> Would it be possible/feasible to setup a map server like openstreetmap
> that shows all the street/roads along with my aerial photography and
> field outlines, and then make a search for the field by customer, by
> legal description or by field name?

Yes.  Absolutely.  And provide it all as a web interface either with
or without usernames and passwords.

Many folks are doing similar things.  Here is a site that will print a
pdf map of a city for you with OSM data and an index.

http://www.maposmatic.org/

You'll change a few things.  You'll layer aerial images under the road
info.  You'll search on customer / field information rather than city
names.  And you'll only work in Kansas instead of France.  ;-)

Sounds like fun!

> If this in not the correct group for this, then what group would I ask
> this question? I realize the your system is about street and I want to
> misuse it for land areas, but it is such a nice system and looks like a
> great framework to start building what I need from.

This is not misuse!  ;-)  "... such as street maps..." is just one
popular use.

>From the front page of the wiki:
"OpenStreetMap creates and provides free geographic data such as
street maps to anyone who wants them. The project was started because
most maps you think of as free actually have legal or technical
restrictions on their use, holding back people from using them in
creative, productive, or unexpected ways. "

Best regards,
Richard