2009/9/26 David Paleino <d.pale...@gmail.com>:
> k...@vielevisels wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> many people tag ways, which are incomplete and show just the beginning,
>> with the note (or FIXME) = stub. In the wiki, the tag noexit=no is
>> intended for this. I think it would be helpful have one way to tag this
>> and to render both (dead-ends and incomplete ways), to show where work has
>> to be done.
>>
>> Any comments on this?
>
> I agree that using noexit=no is a good thing to do.
>
>> PS: noexit=no is not without problems, often there are ways which start as
>> a very good track, but end after some kilometers. So a tag displaying that
>> only the beginning of the track is displayed, would be better
>
> Why? If a way/node is noexit=no, you are telling people that this road
> continues somewhere, somehow. As I understand it, it could be the same road,
> or another one crossing. The first case, being the same road, applies here
> -- dead end roads where only the beginning has been mapped.
>

> Anyways, what's the current way of using noexit=*? I've always used that on
> ways, the wiki suggests that too, but reading the Talk page it seems like
> there was some intention to tag the final node with it? Also josm shows the
> dead-end signal when applied to a node. Did I miss something?

there is also another issue with noexit: the definition for yes
states. "The way ends in the forest or before a barrier. There is no
trail or way which is going further from this point. It is also useful
to tag this if there is an other way in the near of the end, so that a
quality check-program can ignore this. "

but it does not clarify, for whom this is valid. Pedestrians can cross
different barriers than cars and bikes, they have different legal
rights to use ways, etc. Many of the noexit=yes that I have seen had
been noexits for cars, but bikes and pedestrians could have passed on.

besides that, I think non-German people would have to guess the
intented meaning of this English ;-)

cheers,
Martin