Alpo Hassinen's site also links to http://www.smartplanes.se/

http://www.smartplanes.se/applications_e.html (in English)

It isn't exactly clear how they make their mosaics - the white paper says
"The image data of a flight mission can be further processed using the
PAMS Internet service to derive a high resolution OrthoMosaic and/or a
high density Digital Surface Model (DSM)".

More: http://www.smartplanes.se/documents/PAMS-WhitePaper_eng.pdf

PY

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Robert Scott <li...@humanleg.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sunday 27 September 2009, Blumpsy wrote:
>> One of the heroes is a forestry researcher by the name of Alpo Hassinen
>> who works near the Finnish-Russian border. It's an inaccessible area, so
>> he uses an R/C plane for taking aerial photographs. The documentary
>> describes how all he has to do is select the area of interest in some
>> mapping software, and how the plane then navigates itself, taking
>> GPS-references photographs at certain intervals.
>>
>> This is as technical as the BBC get, so I contacted Alpo for some
>> further info.
>>
>> It turns out they are using a turnkey solution called CropCam:
>> http://www.cropcam.com
>
> The ground control system software [1] that accompanies the Paparazzi project
> [2] is not too dissimilar from this.
>

> robert.
>
> [1] http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/GCS
> [2] http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Main_Page