... Not a farmer but a country boy ... my ha'porth ...

Orchards (including olive groves etc.) seem sufficiently distinct (and
permanent - not rotated) to justify a tag of their own. Same might apply
e.g. to vineyards.

Some plantations e.g. bananas, oil palm also seem semi-permanent given the
life-span of the crop plants.

Arable land (which is normally under rotation between plough, various crops,
hay, rice, flax, resting non-permanent grassland) is fairly distinct - but
the individual crops would probably be too ephemeral.

Pastoral land - semi-permanent grassland for cattle and similar livestock -
is also fairly distinct and characteristic e.g. of much of the dairy farming
countryside around here.

Permanent non-cultivated grassland - e.g. natural meadows, uncropped
marshland meadows, alpine meadows might be another category.

Would it be fairly simple then to go along the lines of:

Landuse=agricultural vs. Landuse=grassland
And for the former:

Agriculture=arable / pastoral / orchard / plantation

Maybe a fairly limited number of tags would cope - or am I being too limited
geographically to be useful?

Mike Harris