> I've been noticing that in the US tiger data in central Kansas - ways do
> not cross county lines. Each county has their own county line road and
> the roads from that county connect to it - but it overlays the next
> countys county line road. Is there some automated way to select both
> ways and merge them into one way with the roads from each direction
> connecting also?

  I'm not sure that it can be easily automated - an approach that would work
in some situations will fail in others.     That being said, merging
"congruent ways and nodes" using the longest of the 2 ways, assuming that
they're both Tiger 'roads' of the same name could work.    But frequently
the names are also different and I have had to manually untangle and guess.
I would not want someone to unleash a bot unless it could be demonstrated
that it would improve 98% of the cases, which have the most complicated
topology at county lines.

   Somewhat related, I would like to see common tiger cleanup situations
clarified for both Potlatch and JOSM.

JOSM -
  How to select a way underneath another way?   Usually admin boundaries are
selected when trying to select the way.   When there are 2 duplicate ways
and nodes under an admin boundary, this is very time consuming.

  Potlatch -
     How to merge duplicate nodes?  The only thing I could come up with
after studying the manual is delete the last node of one of the ways, then
redraw to connect back to the other way.
   How to select a way underneath another way?   (I haven't tried this, but
the manual only refers to 2 ways sharing common nodes, with '/' to select
the bottom way).