On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Richard Mann
<richard.mann.westoxf...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> So I'd much prefer a giveway instruction (giveway=yes or giveway=-1) on the
> way that gives way, probably on a node near the junction, and inferring the
> direction from the way that the node is on.
>
> I lost the will to read when much the same issue was discussed with regard
> to stop signs, so I don't know what the conclusion was (if any).

That seems to be a bit of a round-a-bout way to indicate that a road
continues without interruption. Actually, it doesn't necessarily infer
it at all - IMHO the presence of a giveway instruction on the side
road doesn't infer the absence of a giveway instruction on the other
road. Or at least, if you think it does, it doesn't seem to be very
explicit.

I have another unrelated problem (same issues discussed with respect
to stop signs): you said "probably on a node near the junction, and
inferring the direction from the way that the node is on".
1) "Near the junction" is not well-defined, unless you say it must
correspond to the giveway *sign* or *line marking*
2) "Inferring the direction" is not well-defined. Surely you should
tag direction=forward/backward.