Russ Nelson:
> Tobias Knerr writes:
>  > Frederik Ramm:
>  > > (5) Never ever invent a tag that you don't have a concrete use for.
>  >
>  > "Never plan ahead, always wait until there are thousands of existing
>  > tags that make creating a better solution harder"?
>
> I believe this to be a misconception.  If there are five tags, all of
> which have the same semantics, what harm is caused?

There are minor disadvantages (additional effort for people creating
rules, mappers can't decide as easily how they should tag something,
...) that aren't really serious problems, but aren't desirable either.

If I can realistically expect a situation to exist and can take it into
account without negatively affecting the usability of a tagging scheme,
I will do so - even if there is no example for the situation in my area.

>  > Of course, I simply invented something to express this,
>
> And did you document it in the wiki?

I'm going to do this soon. So far, I've made an attempt to discuss it on
the wiki talk page for the feature (I could have used the tagging
mailing list or some other place, doesn't really matter). After all,
someone else might offer a better idea right away.

I've noticed that your steps don't take communication into account at
all. Generally, though, it's a good idea to discuss tagging bit. I can
still ignore other people's opinions, but often I will like their ideas
better than the one I originally had.

A simple "has someone already tagged X?" also makes it less likely that
people simply don't *find* an existing solution they would be perfectly
happy with.

Tobias Knerr