Hi,

Anthony wrote:
> Even then, I have mixed feelings about it, until there's support in
> the major editors for downloading and editing subsets of data.

First of all, this would have to be supported by the API as well. And it
is always very difficult because "everything's connected". Imagine you
download only traffic signals, then delete some and move some around;
later you find that you have actually changed a whole lot of road
geometries where traffic lights were actually part of the roads - but
you didn't see that in your editor. (Most likely your deletions would
not even go through.)

Recent JOSM versions do have an experimental filtering feature where you
could easily say "hide everything from me that is tagged planning or
historic" (in Karlsruhe, we have a former railway line cutting right
through a block of buildings). You can even combine filters and do a lot
of fancy stuff. Experimental and not for the novice though.

Bye
Frederik