> 1. Mineshaft may exist but we are going to be mapping
> the location mine entrances, not the tunnel leading away from
> the mineentrance. In the future someone may want to map the 'way'
> that the mineshaft follows especially if its a horizontal tunnel going
> into a hillside
> 2. What we want to locate, or map, are mine entrances. Mine entrances to
> are mostly small and most go horizontally into hillsides.
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Mine_entrance.jpg
>  I assume most are too small to map as an area in OSM. They would have
> to be mapped as a node.

I think you are mixing up audits and mineshafts. Mineshafts always go
verticaly or almost-verticaly into the ground. You are talking about adits,
that is something completly different and should be dealed with in another
proposal. See Wikipedia for definitions of these terms.

> 3. There are plans to supply info on structures associated with mines
> as part of the tag, notably the Pit Head. I think this could be confusing
> and people would map the outline of the Pit Head structure and tag it as
> a 'mineshaft'. The Pit Head should be mapped separately as a building and
> this should be made clear.

I am not sure what you mean here. The pit head is always above the
mineshaft, so it makes no sense to map the mineshaft and the pithead
seperatly.

>4. The term Headframe is used to describe a Pit Head, which is confusing.
> More problems with language use. Pit Head appears to be the correct term
> for the building or structure.

Headframe is the more correct term. A headframe is the structural frame
above an underground mine shaft (see Wikipedia). Usually winding shafts have
such a headframe, air shafts do not. A pit head could also be a building
with an enclosed headframe. But the intention of this tag is to express if
the headframe is visible, because it is a prominent point of reference. Look
at the examples in the wiki.

lesi