2009/10/21 Dave F. <dave...@madasafish.com>:
> Someoneelse wrote:
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Mineshaft
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Surface_Mining
>>>

>> It would be helpful to know what people are mapping these features as
>> currently - looking in the UK I can see one "man-made=mineshaft" and no
>> references to "surface_mining".  Do you know what people are using
>> currently?
> landuse=quarry ?
>
>  364 uses in tagwatch

and how many of them are mines? The thing is, that there are quite
different types of quarries, dependant on what you are after.
This is an example for lignite mining in Germany, where you usually
have huge areas and equipment:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Tagebau_Garzweiler_Panorama_2005.jpg

actually there you are after lignite that is quite profund (up to 100 m)

whilst this is what I would expect from quarry:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Quarry.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/Lobejun1.JPG
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/Cararra-Steinbruch.JPG

here they are getting plates and cubes, mostly not too profund, and
generally much smaller areas, but the material is quite hard.

cheers,
Martin