Please check out this great blog post from Romanian OSM mappers:
http://snipurl.com/svk0b

Ever since I saw great ITO World animation "Year of Edits" I wanted to
make my own version. This look like it is possible. Just look at the
Bulgarian OSM mappers blog post.

So in order to make this work they made git repository for planet file
and that is how it is possible to get a history for some town or place,
because git repository keeps all changes ever made.

So in order to make your own animations you need to have your own
planet.osm git repository. That is the first big hurdle :(

I hope that OSM creates an official public git repository so that anybody
can get "history" for his town/place.

If/when we get history for some town what are the next steps? I'm still
not clear what are the next steps needed.

Is somebody more familiar with this? If you are please provide some step-
by-step instructions.

Here is the translation from Bulgarian blog post:
"To help Eddy, it was requested to provide OpenStreetMap on national
television, I took the scripts we use it and with minor changes (required
to use own Mapnik installation) I was able to generate several films with
developing the project OSM in Romania. The results are not terribly
spectacular (see ITO World) but I think the record pretty well out of so
many people work."

And here is Eddys post explaining how these scripts work:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2009-September/042646.html

"The main ideas:
- the planet files are stored in a git repo (in another branch than
master - the scripts warn about this and give advice)
- the generation of the maps is currently tailored to focus on Caracal,
my home town where I was the author of he huge majority of changes; it
would be nice if this was configurable by an external file, but I expect
patches - you can commit anonymously in the mob branch :-)
- the generation can go back from the most recent version of the planet
file in the "planet repo" down to a date or down a certain number of
commits
- mapnik is used for generation and the database configuration stuff
surely needs checking
- the main script is "gen_dated_maps" which in turn calls "gen_map" -
gen_map is the rename of gen_map_Caracal and should be the generic
version of the map generator
- the images are created in a ne directory _maps, and can be added an
optional time stamp"

--
pratite me na twitteru - www.twitter.com/valentt
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/