On 11 Nov 2009, at 14:58, Anthony wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Peter Miller <peter.mil...@itoworld.com
> > wrote:
>> My reading of this is
>> that CloudMade are claiming (c) over the rendered images which would
>> make it illegal to copy them without permission. Such a restriction
>> is
>> of course incompatible with the CC-BY-SA OSM data licence
>
> No it isn't.  You have to copyright a work in order to release it
> under the CC-BY-SA license.

Sure, but they are not stating that they are releasing their
copyrighted rendering as CC-BY-SA so I don't know if I can recommend
that people use it.

To be clear, the ODbL license, when it arrives, will allow people to
create renderings that are (c) and are which are not then released
CCBYSA which I think will be good for the project because people will
be able to commercially exploit clever rendering and analysis of OSM
data to create beautiful things - including artistic maps based on OSM
data. Currently the artist would probably need to release their work
as CCBYSA. Using ODbL people will also be able to public domain
renderings. All of this creates a ot of new incentives to use OSM data
for different purposes.

The big rule in ODbL is that the core database (as distinct from
rendering) must be released under an open data license and also any
derived database from the osm database must be released under ODbL
which therefore allows anyone else to produce beautiful renderings in
competition with these people so we have a nice level of competition
working.

Indeed, it is important to our company (ITO World) that we can produce
sophisticated images and analysis by combining OSM data with other
separate databases and create a work that we can then protect and sell
- without that right to earn income from our analysis and rendering
then we would be much less interested in OSM.

I suspect that the same may be true for CM in that they have spent a
lot of money building up a rendering system, have created excellent
rendering rules and built a style editor and now need to earn some
money from it somehow - allowing anyone to harvest their tiles for any
purpose for free including being able to host tiles scraped from CM on
a competing (free?) service would probably be really bad news for them.

As such I think they have probably written their attribution to suit
the upcoming license rather than the current one, but without
clarification I would not suggest that people should scrape their map
times for use on other services.

Regards,

Peter Miller

Regards,