I think I may understand your confusion here.  You may think of "highway" to
mean a high-speed paved road on which motor vehicles travel.  But within the
context of OSM, the "highway" tag is much more general purpose.  Virtually
all formal and informal roads and paths should be tagged "highway",
everything from limited access motorways, to paved bike paths, to alpine
hiking trails.  The value given to the "highway" tag determines what kind of
path it is.

Take a look at the wiki for more information:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway

-Scott

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 6:45 AM, Shalabh <shalab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> JOSM does not give me that option of a bridge under hiking trail, atleast
> not while using the presets. If I use the highway tag with a bridge,
> consider this. I have a hiking trail marked as an 'demanding alpine hiking'
> 50 km from any humanity and then I have a bridge tagged as highway in the
> middle of it. Am I missing something here?
>
> Regards,
> Shalabh
>

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Jean-Marc Liotier <j...@liotier.org> wrote:
>
>> Shalabh wrote:
>>
>>> using highway tag means giving speed limits.
>>>

>> You don't have to - it is optional.
>>

>>  I am using the path=hiking trail for the trail and would ideally need a
>>> bridge attribute 'yes' within the hiking trail.
>>>

>> Add the "bridge=yes" tag - it works just fine for that.

Scott Atwood

The hill isn't in the way, it is the way.