Hi all,

> I live in the United States.  I can do whatever the heck I want with the
> OSM database.  Now you want me to agree to a contract limiting those
> rights.  So I'll ask again:  What's in it for me?
My data. The streets I mapped. The trails I mapped. The POIs I mapped.
The Indonesian islands I traced from aerial imagery. All that and all
the data I'm going to add. For free and in my spare time and with the
assumptions that I would get credit for it. Not personally but in the
form of "this dataset was collected by the collaborators of the OSM
project". If the copyright law in you're place allows you to take my
data and use it with out attributing me and my fellow mappers I consider
it broken. And if the copyright law was that broken in the whole world I
would never have invested as much time as I have.

Nearly all of my data doesn't concern the US and is totally
uninteresting to you. Which I consider a good thing. Because I sure as
hell don't want to help somebody who has the attitude "I can use the
data no matter who collected it and how much effort is was. It's just
facts."

Oh and by the way: I'm not totally convinced that ODbL is great or the
right move. I want a open (as in "go and do incredible cool stuff with
the data I collected"), free (as in "collecting the data was fun, no
need to pay me") license with a attribution clause (forcing you to say
"btw, the base data was collected by the diligent contributors of OSM").

When I joined up, I though that CC-BY-SA did that. Talking to people
knowledgeable in matters of law and copyright I learn that this is not
the case _in_ _countries_ _like_ _yours_. And as I don't want to hand my
data to people with your attitude I see a clear need to relicense, not
matter how difficult and painful.

Patrick "Petschge" Kilian