80n wrote:
> You've spent many many hours studying the licensing issues and claim
> to have a deep understanding of the issues.  If CC BY-SA is as broken
> as you claim it is then Google, Navteq, Teleatlas and many others
> would all have helped themselves to our data by now.
>
> You can't continue to claim that CC BY-SA is broken without some
> evidence of our data being abused.  Put up or shut up, please.

Ok.

Assiduous readers of legal-talk will know about the "machine-generated
derivative" loophole which Frederik and I independently identified; which
has been confirmed for us on the CC mailing lists; and which CC will not fix
because they don't believe people should use a creative works licence for
data.

Under CC-BY-SA, attribution and share-alike are required when you distribute
OSM data, or a derivative of it.

They are not required, of course, if you don't distribute the data. If I
write a program that downloads planet.osm to my hard disc, then replaces the
word "node" with "nude" throughout, I don't have to give it back or
attribute OSM.

In other words: If you want to use OSM data without attribution or
share-alike, you may do so by distributing the program that makes the
derivative, rather than the derivative itself. This is perfectly permissible
under CC-BY-SA.

This is trivial because you can distribute programs as part of a webpage -
for example, as JavaScript (e.g. Cartagen) or Flash (e.g. Halcyon).

To this end, because you would like to see some evidence of the data being
'abused', I've temporarily removed the attribution from
http://www.geowiki.com/halcyon/ . This is now using OSM data without any
credit, perfectly legally.

I also give notice that I intend to write an iPhone application which uses
the same loophole to download OSM data, creates a derivative, and neither
attributes OSM nor offers the derivative under the terms of CC-BY-SA.

cheers
Richard