> So ask for a clause that "ownership" is transferred to another org in
> the event that OSMF is "bought out" or no longer has the best
> interests of it's contributors, but it's not uncommon to assign rights
> to an org, as you point out the FSF has been doing it for a long time,
> why was there any reason to trust them in the begining?

I assume that it was time when organizations like FSF sounded like
hippy geeks without any serious possibility to penetrate market. Free
software, free for all to use, sell, customize, analyze? Are you
kiddin? Real intent of FSF and GNU only got serious coverage after
Linux came in (because GNU fit so well as support layer of new os); at
that point FSF already were serious players in community and have
proven that they are "fanatic" enough not to sell out. To keep on
believing in right thing takes some faith.

OSM, in other case, have already attracted lot of commercial
competition and there are worries about their markets - and in same
time lot of casual map users too. Therefore, having one organization
like target will make things a lot easier if someone will seriously
try to silence this project. Also people aready seen signs, they seen
Microsoft doing nothing about Netscape or Firefox - and loosing. No
commercial vendor wants OSM to become "Linux of the maps" or "Firefox
of the maps".

Question is - can we trust OSMF? I can put up some faith for it, but
how about others? That's why is so important to explain this license
change again, again and again.

Cheers,
Peter.