On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:16 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not a hack, it's an easy way to order some elements when
> rendering so things look right. A hack would be using the layer tag to
> alter the rendering order to make things look better if the rendering
> config is wrong.

Sorry, you're right, "hack" is not the right word.

>No ! That's not ok to rely on any "reasonable" renderers.
>This is exactly what we mean when we say "don't tag for the renderer".

I think what you mean by "don't tag for the renderer" is almost
exactly the opposite of what other people mean by it.

You: Follow the rules (in this case, the requirements of dumb
renderers that needed a layer tag to figure out that water goes below
road)), don't expect smart renderers to figure it out.
Certain others: Tag reality, renderers will eventually make sense of the data.

IMHO, tagging "layer=1 bridge=yes" for a road going over water is an
example of a hack, and "tagging for the renderer". The information
"bridge=1" is more than enough to render with, so "layer=1" can *only*
be interpreted as giving a renderer a crutch.

(OTOH, tagging "layer=2 bridge=yes" for a road going over another
elevated road is not "tagging for the renderer". It's encoding
information that *any* renderer, no matter how smart, would need.)

Steve