2009/12/15 Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com>:
> Carefully talking out what these "sane defaults" are, documenting, and
> using them is not "the lazy thing to do".

You are assuming people are going to go to lengths to read such doco
and more to the point understand the implications and as a result
alter their behaviour... some would say that is wishful thinking :)

> Oh yeah, because the world is just *full* of triple decker bridges :)

I thought we were talking about water ways and road ways...

> So...following a documented convention that waterways are "below"
> roads is akin to Y2K? I'm not seeing it.

No I was describing human nature of doing the least possible, in the
case of y2k it's dropping the first 2 digits of the year, in tagging
it leaves you open to guess work, the problem is human nature.

> The best I can propose is that *you* keep adding the redundant tags,
> and *I* will follow documented convention (assuming it *is* documented
> - heh), and tag the minimum required. And hopefully one day someone
> will figure out a way of cleaning up this mess.

The problem is documentation is sometimes controdictory, the wiki
isn't very useful for tagging documentation because it doesn't enforce
consistency and other nice things needed to be able to do tag
minimisation. There is 2 ways to handle this, fix the problems with
the current documentation system, or redundently tag things, the
latter is easier to an extent to obtain.