2009/12/17 Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com>

> >In the end, OSM is a database, and how you are rendering a map is
> something accessory, as "everyone" can set up the rendering the way they
> want. It is the greatest strength of OSM that you can choose what kind of
> rendering you can do. I think the map should deemphasized at some point from
> the main site as more and more people want custom rendering.
>
> I guess I will have to investigate this further, but that's really not at
> all how I see OSM, and not how I think the public perceives it. The diehards
> on this list may all have their own renderers set up at home, but that's
> rare. For most people, the mapnik view *is* OSM, and switching it off would
> be dumping OSM's biggest selling point. The world has very much moved to a
> cloud model, whereas what you're proposing (download the data, render it
> using an offline client) is exactly the opposite of that. I just don't see
> that approach gaining traction any more. If anything, I would have thought
> you'd put more effort into custom rendering on the server, like cloudmade
> does.
>
> Of course, I could be completely wrong. That would at least explain why I
> find the response of "make your own stylesheet" so jarring to my original
> problem statement.

I understand your point. But I disagree about the directions where things
are going. Some things are going for the cloud, some will stay on your
desktop. Don't necessarily believe the hype and take it with a pinch of
salt. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point, people are coming up with
custom cloud renderers.
But for the time being, if you want a custom rendering you will be using
your own pc or server. If you are interested in a relatively simple
renderer, you could look at http://igorbrejc.net/kosmoshome . This should
help you and should not be too difficult to use.
I look forward to some offline rendering using Halcyon personally. Being
able to tweak a map just by playing with some css sounds very appealing to
me.
I agree that for many people the map is the focal point of OSM but again, we
have already two major renderers on the main site. I think it sends a clear
signal that we are not just about one map but several.
In the end, the power of OSM is what you do with it. The map part is not a
major interest to me, but I might be one of the exception.

Emilie Laffray