> Actually several of the Australian borders were drawn up on paper but
> the physical border differs because of miscalculation when surveyed,
> they just found out that the angle along NT/Qld borders differs in the
> direction they went north, so they'll probably update the paper maps,
> they said they have no plans to shift it.

  I just surveyed a bunch of roads in rural Illinois, and the Tiger data is
all off by 20-30 meters.   The Tiger data seems to have been defined using
math from the original survey, and does not even include the doglegs where
adjoining townships meet.    This error is related to the distance from the
original chain survey from the baseline and meridian lines in Illinois.   A
famous set of survey doglegs is North Avenue (Rt 64) near Chicago -

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.9099&lon=-87.74514&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF

  The north and south streets don't match.

  All this from the region where the surveyors produced "Lake Wobegone" <g>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Wobegone